It’s no surprise that when it comes to our eating and nutrition, we look for food that fit under the EASY, QUICK and where possible, HEALTHY umbrella. In my household, we tend to naturally gravitate towards recipes like these and because I get bored very easily with salads, I do my best to incorporate veggies in different ways. I’ve also included the recipe sources, so you can browse for other ideas
Super simple to make, hearty and delicious (perfect for the cooler nights we have had lately)! I changed some things in this recipe to make it more friendly for our digestion but feel free to use cream/sour cream if that’s what you prefer. It looks like a long list, but it’s mainly herbs and spices which add flavour to the dish. This was Husband approved and was a good hit of essential macro-nutrients – protein, fats and carbs.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in a large pot of boiling salted water and drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add minced beef and cook until browned. Set aside.
- To the same pan, add diced onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (roughly 1 minute).
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned (roughly 1 minute).
- Gradually add in beef stock and stir to combine. Add pasta sauce and stir in Italian seasoning, dried parsley, oregano and paprika.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta, add back beef.
- Stir in the coconut cream until heated through. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cheese until melted. Serve and enjoy!
Change it up!
- Vegan option: swap meat for crumbled tofu or lentils.
- Add different veggies to increase fibre and micro-nutrients! I.e. grated zucchini, carrots, broccoli or just throw in a handful of spinach leaves.